The Sixth Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD VI) Summit was held at Kenyatta International Convention Center in Nairobi, Kenya on 27th -28th August 2016. This was the first time TICAD is being held in Africa since its inception in 1993.
The SET programme participated at TICAD side events in partnership with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the Institute of Developing Economies (IDE-JETRO). Industrial development and economic transformation are crucial for Africa’s development, but there is a heated debate on how to achieve them. Three events explored the respective roles of government and private sector in policy development and implementation for Africa’s industrialisation.
26 Aug 2016: Africa’s Transformation through Industrial development and implementing the Agenda 2063
13:00-15:00, Hilton Hotel, Nairobi Kenya
How can market mechanisms respond to the development challenges which Africa faces, and what are the roles of the government? How should industrial policy be formulated and implemented? This seminar will discuss some of these key questions with scholars and practitioners.
Opening Remarks: Dr. Shinichi Kitaoka, JICA president
- Joseph Stiglitz, Columbia University
- Helen Clark, President, UNDP
- Akinwumi Ayodeji Adesina, President, AfD
- Akbar Norman, Colombia University
27 Aug 2016: Industrial Development in Africa – KAIZEN and beyond
10:00-12:00, Sarova Panafric Hotel, Nairobi Kenya
Manufacturing plays a key role in the process of economic transformation. Enhancing competitiveness through improving productivity and quality is a key issue in Africa. This seminar will focus on firm-level policies, namely KAIZEN, an important element behind improving firm performances.
Opening remarks: Akiba Kenya (Member of the House of Representatives and Deputy Secretary General, Japan-African Union Parliamentary Friendship Association)
- Dirk Willem te Velde, Head of International Economic Development Group and SET Programme, ODI (Moderator)
- Dawarnoba Baeka, Chief Director, Ministry of Trade and Industry, Ghana
- Daniel Kilenge, General Manager, Manufacturing, Quality, ME & Maintenance, General Motors East Africa
- Kenichi Tomiyoshi, Vice President, JICA
- John Page, Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
- Getahun Tadesse, Director General, Ethiopian Kaizen Institute
Closing remarks: Mayaki Ibrahim, CEO, NEPAD Agency
Click here for JICA press release
28 Aug 2016: Industrialisation, private sector development and economic transformation in Africa: challenges and prosperity
13:30-17:00, Hilton Hotel, Nairobi Kenya
In consideration of Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) where industrialisation is critically needed in order to transform an over-dependent economic structure on agriculture and mining, this seminar will explore the potential pathways toward the transformation in SSA.
Hiroshi Sato, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE)-JETRO (Moderator)
- Stephen Gelb, Team Leader, Private Sector Development, ODI
- Takahiro Fukunishi, IDE-JETRO
- Keijiro Otsuka, Kobe University
- Gerrishon Ikiara, Professor, University of Nairobi
- Lemma Senbet, Executive Director, African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
- Dirk Willem te Velde, Head of International Economic Development Group and SET Programme, ODI
Presentations & Reports
Stephen Gelb ODI-IDE slides
Dirk Willem te Velde ODI-IDE slides
The SET team also held a closed session on 29 August with Government of Kenya, Department for International Development (DFID) Kenya, local and international experts, business representatives and others. The session discussed manufacturing in Kenya and SET support for economic transformation.